Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Road Trip

Spring Break finally arrived! Jamie and I decided we wanted to go to the beach for the weekend but we decided to go on a spontaneous road trip. We left Friday morning heading down to Gulf Shores. We decided to just find a place to stay when we got there.. so crazy for us, but we did! I am pretty much a planner and like for things to be thought out but this time, I just wanted to go and I didn't really care where we stayed. We've never been one to go to the beach in March because it is usually still cold, but I was determined to go somewhere where the sun was shining because it has been so cold here lately. And the weather was pretty much perfect the whole time we were there. It was a little windy but the sun was definitly shining and just made for a perfect weekend. We ate lunch at the Shrimp Basket, found a hotel, and even put our bathing suits on and got in the hot tub for a bit. That night we went to the Hangout for dinner and the fish tacos were delish! We had fun hanging out and listening to the band play. They were good!


Eating dinner at the Hangout




I love this sign!

I've never noticed the huge fan inside the restaurant.

Saturday we went shopping at the outlets, ate lunch at LuLu's and then drove down to Fairhope. We went shopping some more at the cute little shops in Fairhope! I just love that place.. it is just so neat and I would love to move there one day. We went to the Fairhope Pier and Jamie fished for a bit. It was a nice day too. That night, we ate at the Fly Creek Cafe. It was such a fun place too... right on the bay. The food was delicious and the place was really fun. Thanks, Elizabeth for the recommendation!

A fun place to eat and play!






This cool pirate ship was there too..


The Fairhope Pier


So pretty

Jamie fishing at the pier



Dinner at Fly Creek Cafe


The city at night was all lit up! So pretty



Sunday we checked into the Grande Hotel. That place is awesome and we LOVE it. We decided that one night is just not enough time to stay.. there is so much to do. Lots of activities for the kids, a pier to fish on, you can rent bikes to ride, yummy restaurants, a huge pool.. really several. Since it's on the bay you can lay out on the beach, rent kayaks, play volleyball.. and the list goes on. It is just a neat place. We ate some yummy burgers for lunch at the Birdcage Lounge and for dinner we decided to eat there at the Saltwater Grill. It was good too. We layed out most of the day on Sunday. It was the prettiest day and got some sun too!


The view of the pool from our hotel room balcony

Jamie fishing..again!




The margaritas by the pool were yummy!

Outside our balcony..we had a great view!



Toes in the sand


I can't believe I have my bathing suit on in March!

The beautiful sunset


My hot hubby!




Monday we had to check out and head back home. Sad! We did eat lunch at the famous Panini Pete's... and, oh my goodness! It was the best!! If you haven't heard of this place before, it has been featured on the Food Network's Diner's, Drive Ins, and Dives with Guy Fieri. It is basically a hole in the wall that has the best panini sandwiches you can imagine. They also make homemade french fries or chips which both were very good. They were oh so yummy and the beignets were amazing too. We have fallen in love with that place and can't wait to go back! If you are ever in the area, you have to stop in and eat there! What a cool place and the people are so nice too!



Yummy! I had already eaten half my sandwich

The delicious beignets!



We had an absolute blast on our trip!! It's always sad to come home, but at least I have the week to myself! =) Mom and I will be making a trip to Selma to see my grandmother and then I plan to take some time to clean out closets.. not fun and get some things organized around here. I hope you all are having a great Spring Break.. if you do get one. If not, I'm sorry you are not a teacher! =) I sure hope the sun will make an appearance at home. It is depressing to come back to blah, cold and dreary weather. That's not what it's supposed to be like!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

YEA!!! I am SO glad y'all had fun--looks like an awesome trip! I cannot wait to get back down there!

Katy said...

It was so fun and you helped to make it that way! hope ya'll have so much fun in savannah and let's get together one night soon for dinner! I MEAN IT!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I just read everything you did, sounds like fun! we love it in alabama, we go every july to gulf shores, can not wait for this year!! you had mentioned fairhope? we have never been there, it is weird because my husband had mentioned it earlier about going there this coming trip!! but really have not heard much about it?? so you would recommend it right???

Katy said...

The grande hotel in fairhope is amazing! I would TOTALLY recommend going and staying there. So much to do and see. It is pretty much in fairhope although the address is point clear, al. They are pretty much the same. Fairhope has some fun shopping and a some yummy restaurants too. I do love it there and hope you get to go soon. Thanks for stopping by and for commenting. Would love to know who you are.. =)